Fantasy Island - the world’s second largest Carnival will be even more fun
and colorful as it takes on “Fantasy” theme for 2018
Tenerife’s spectacular and much-anticipated annual Carnival will have a “fantasy” theme in 2018. Visitors to this year’s event are invited to let their imaginations run as they choose their costumes and let their fantasies become reality during the month of celebrations on Tenerife, the largest of the Canary Islands. This year’s main event is scheduled between February 7th and February 18th, 2018.
The Santa Cruz Carnival is the island’s largest and most anticipated festival, attracting hundreds of thousands of people of all ages to Tenerife’s capital city every year. Considered the world’s second largest carnival after Rio, the street party attracts large crowds who fill the city’s squares and streets to dance salsa and view the spectacular parades, which are all free for visitors.
Among the highlights of this year’s Santa Cruz Carnival are:
- Carnival Queen Election Gala (February 7th): Considered by many as the highlight of Carnival, the spectacular Carnival Queens are often the focus of the stunning iconic images each year. Shimmering sequins, feathers, colours, fabrics and textures – the huge structures that the queens wear look truly amazing, and every costume seems to have been inspired by a fairy tale. The beauty and flair make it even more difficult to choose one favorite design.
- Opening Parade (evening of February 9th): The queen's costume, her maids of honor and the Carnival groups take on a whole new level when seen close up parading down the streets of Santa Cruz, followed by costumed performers, dance troops and musical groups.
- Family-friendly Day Carnival (February 11th and 17th): The other part of Carnival is the daytime festivities. Groups of friends, children and families wiz by in their finest costumes.
- Coso Apoteosis Parade (February 13th): On Carnival Tuesday, when everyone's muscles ache from Monday night's dancing and their faces are still speckled with glitter, the city is once again filled with color to celebrate the Grand Final Parade.
- The Burial of the Sardine (February 13th): The Burial of the Sardine takes place on Ash Wednesday and features a crazy, irreverent procession of weeping “widows” with a huge model fish, which is finally "cremated”.
This year there’s no chance of missing any part of the party that fills the streets of Santa Cruz with color, rhythm and music from dawn to dusk. All you have to do is download the brand new app dedicated to the Carnival! The App can be downloaded on the official Carnival website: www.carnavaldetenerife.com .
In February and March other town’s in Tenerife will be also celebrating their own carnivals with lively street parades and parties, including Puerto de la Cruz, Los Cristianos and Los Gigantes.
Tenerife Carnival Videos: https://we.tl/WnHDpWD25W
Tenerife is the largest of the Canary Islands, a chain in the eastern Atlantic Ocean. Guaranteed sunshine, diverse landscapes, white and black sand beaches and charming villages make the island an ideal vacation option all year round. Not to mention its vast array of activities - from year-round whale watching and stargazing on Spain’s highest speak to exploring Europe’s largest lava tubes, ensure that the island is unforgettable as its flavors and friendly people.
For general tourism information on Tenerife, please visit: www.traveltotenerife.com